Gas Detection Equipment Warranty
A gas monitoring system alone cannot prevent hazardous conditions from occurring. The reliability of a gas monitoring system, and the resultant safety level is dependent on, and the responsibility of the user. The user’s responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Ensuring that the correct equipment is specified for conditions at the particular site
- Following recommended installation and wiring guidelines
- Meeting all applicable safety and electrical codes
- Scheduling regular calibrations and servicing
- Replacing inoperative or questionable parts or units
CONSPEC Controls Inc. provides warranty service for one (1) year from the shipping date on all electronic and mechanical components. Sensor elements are considered a consumable part subject to varying conditions which can affect their expected life. Sensor elements are covered under warranty for a period of six (6) months. Damage to sensor elements due to overexposure of the target gas, poisoning, or other factors beyond CONSPEC’s control are not covered under warranty. Warranty service is limited to defects in materials and workmanship on units which fail under normal use. CONSPEC will repair or replace any unit found to have failed due to defects in materials or workmanship. This warranty is voided if the unit has been misused, damaged due to incorrect wiring, or tampered with before return to the factory. Warranty claims that are denied will be billed at the standard rate. Expedited shipping is not covered under warranty.
No other warranty is authorized by the seller other than the above.
Before returning a product for service, call CONSPEC Controls Inc. for a Return Authorization Number (RA#) at 724-489-8450. Returned units should be packaged securely as damages incurred during shipping are not covered under warranty.
Conspec Controls Inc. values our relationships with customers and offers returns for standard products that meet certain criteria. Please carefully read and understand this Return Policy for product eligibility.
30 Day Return Period: All standard products may be returned within 30 days from the date on the packing slip or invoice for a refund of the purchase price paid, less shipping and handling, and any applicable restocking fees (as further described below). Any product returned to Conspec Controls Inc. without prior authorization will be considered an unauthorized return, and you will not receive credit for the product and Conspec Controls Inc. will not ship the product back to you.
NOTE: Custom products are not eligible for return.
Restocking Fees: Unless the product is defective or the return is a direct result of a Conspec Controls Inc. error, Conspec Controls Inc. may charge a restocking fee of up to 30% of the purchase price paid, plus any applicable sales tax.
How to Return a Product: Before returning a product, you MUST first contact Conspec Controls Inc. customer service and obtain a Return Materials Authorization (RMA) number before the end of the applicable return period. Conspec Controls Inc. will not accept returns without a RMA number.
NOTE: You must ship the product to Conspec Controls Inc. within 5 days of the date that Conspec Controls Inc. issues the Return Materials Authorization number and MUST follow these steps:
- Ship back all products you are seeking to return to Conspec Controls Inc. and for which you received a RMA number. For partial returns, your credit may be less than the invoice or individual component price due to bundled or promotional pricing or any unadvertised discounts or concessions.
- Return the products in their original packaging, in as-new condition, along with documentation and any other items that were included in your original shipment. ALL RETURNED PRODUCTS ARE SUBJECT TO EXAMINATION FOR TAMPERING OR DEFECTS.
- Ship the products at your expense, and insure the shipment or accept the risk of loss or damage during shipment.
Upon receipt and examination of your return, Conspec Controls Inc. will issue a credit or a refund of the purchase price paid, less shipping and handling, and any applicable restocking fees subject to this policy.
For more information on our gas detection equipment warranty policy, contact us today:
CUSTOMER SERVICE: (724) 489-8450
TOLL FREE: 1 (800) 487-8450
FAX: 1 (724) 489-9772
CONSPEC’s technical services department receives many requests for estimates on items sent in for repair. The nature of electronics makes it extremely difficult to give an accurate estimate until the repair is completed. A circuit board may look fine but have every integrated circuit internally damaged. Our technicians could spend hours determining the extent of the damage only to have the customer decline to proceed with the repair after getting an estimate. The volume of incoming repairs accompanied by requests for estimates makes this lost time economically unacceptable.
CONSPEC’s technical services department has calculated the average cost per item in lieu of estimates on individual repairs. These average prices are intended to assist with customer’s purchasing department requirements. Any customer requiring an estimate on each individual item will be billed for time spent generating the estimate.
- Circuit Cards average $ 125.00 per unit.
- Gas Monitors average $150.00 per unit (excluding sensors, see below).
- Sensors, Toxic & O2 average $ 75.00 per unit. NOTE: The expected life of the electrochemical sensor is 2 years. If the sensor is labeled with a date over 2 years old it is B.E.R. (Beyond Economical Repair).
- Sensors, LEL average $75.00 per unit. NOTE: The expected life of the catalytic-bead sensor is affected greatly by exposure to poisons or high levels of combustible gas. Sensors exhibiting extremely low gain are B.E.R.
- B.E.R. (Beyond Economical Repair) items can be replaced with a new unit at list price or discarded for no charge. Refurbished items will be offered at reduced cost when available. Customers requiring the return of B.E.R. items will be charged CONSPEC’s standard per item repair rate to cover handling and packaging expenses.
Warranty claims CONSPEC Controls Inc. provides warranty service for one (1) year from the shipping date on all electronic and mechanical components. Sensor elements are considered a consumable part subject to varying conditions, which can affect their expected life. Damage to sensor elements due to overexposure of the target gas, poisoning, or other factors beyond CONSPEC’s control are not covered under warranty. Warranty service is limited to defects in materials and workmanship on units, which fail under normal use. CONSPEC will repair or replace any unit found to have failed due to defects in materials or workmanship. This warranty is voided if the unit has been misused, damaged due to incorrect wiring, or tampered with before return to the factory. Warranty claims that are denied will be billed at the standard rate. Expedited shipping is not covered under warranty.
The following statements made about the operational conditions and restrictions of the catalytic bead sensor have been taken directly from the manufacturers operations manual.
High Gas Concentration
In certain conditions the detectors may be required to operate in high gas concentrations for short periods. Test have shown that for periods up to about 2 minutes, 10 second bursts of 8%, 10%, and 80% methane air have had no adverse effect. Prolonged exposure can result in zero drift, which may be reversible by operation for a short period in air or low methane concentration (about 1%). Exposure to 40% concentration for longer periods will begin to destroy the detector surface altering the zero reading and reducing the sensitivity. Whenever an instrument is exposed to high concentrations of combustible gas the calibration should be rechecked as soon as possible.
Poisons and Inhibitors
The performance of the catalyst may be temporarily impaired by operation in the presence of substances, which are described as inhibitors. These are usually volatile substances containing halogens and the detectors may recover after a short period of operation in clean air.
Whenever the substance produces a permanent effect on the catalyst with a catastrophic reduction in sensitivity the detector is said to be poisoned; examples are silicone oils and greases, anti knock petrol additives, phosphate esters. Activated carbon filters will provide adequate protection from poisoning in the majority of cases.
Care should be taken in the choice of materials from which mounting blocks, gas sampling systems, pipe work, pumps, etc, are manufactured. Plastic materials or metals machined using cutting fluids may leave volatile residues trapped in the system. It is essential therefore that all component parts of a gas system are scrupulously clean and that plastic items do not operate at high temperatures so evolving inhibitors or poisoning agents.
Some additional information from Conspec Engineers
A few examples of substances considered catalytic bead poison.
- Silicones: Silicone based grease, lubricants, floor wax
- Mercaptans: Used as odorant for natural gas
- Sulphur containing gas compounds: ex. Hydrogen Sulphide and Sulphur Dioxide
- Lead containing compounds: ex. Tetraethyl Lead